Tuesday 22 January 2013

Bali for a month

I have been wanting to go to Bali for a month for a while now and finally this year I was able to organise it. I had the holidays and booked my tickets along with my 14yo daughter, Sam.  Hubby decided he could join us for 2 weeks, 17 yo nephew came along for 2 weeks, friend for 2 weeks and second daughter 18yo Abby was already in Bali volunteering teaching English so she joined us for some of the time also.  My month to myself is now not what I had planned but still I will be in Bali for a month so I am happy.

We leave Geraldton straight after work on my last day working for the year - December 14th and drive 5 hours to Perth then get up at 1.00am to go to the airport.  I barely get 2 hours sleep. Plane leaves on time at 3.50am and I don't even sleep on the plane so when we arrive in Bali at 8.30am and I am very tired.  The airport was not too busy and we got through quite quickly and our driver Agus was waiting for us.  He drove us to Sanur where we were going to catch the 11.00am fast boat to Nusa Lembongan to begin our Bali holiday.  We stopped on the way to change money and buy a Bali sim card for my phone.


The porters - we have arrived.  Not one porter asked to help us!  We didn't need any help as we only had one bag each that we could wheel.

Once we arrived at Sanur I tried to find the email from the accomodation to see which fast boat we were booked on.  Of course I had lots of emails printed out but not the one I needed.  So Agus and I walked along the beach front checking with some of the different fast boat offices but no one seemed to have a booking in my name.  Agus then tried to call Dream Beach Huts to find out but he could not get through to them.  In the end he took us to Rockys main office and we booked with them to go on the 12.00 boat.  They  were very professional in their service, gave us a bottle of water each and then transferred us with our bags down to the "harbour" as they called it on the beach front.  We then had a quick bite to eat at a restaurant just near the harbour and barely had time to finish our meal before it was time to board the boat.  The boat road took about 25 mins and was very smooth.  I was impressed with the boat and the crew.

Rockys then transferred us in their truck to Dream Beach Huts.  The ride over to the other side of the island was so nice, reminded me of Bali 30 years ago.  All the newbies I had with me were suitably impressed.  It had been a long day and night of travelling to get here and we were all exhausted.  I made a mental note not to do that again.  If  I have to travel after work to the airport and then fly at least I will stay one night in Sanur or somewhere before catching the boat to the island if I do that again.  No rush, Bali time next time.

We arrived at Dream Beach Huts and first impressions were of a beautiful beach resort.  On check in the girls tells me there is some construction near the beach in front of our rooms so as I didn't have free breakfast with my Agoda.com booking she will give us free continental breakfast.  Thank you very much.  We hardly heard the construction at all really just some very faint hammering.


View from the back of the small truck being taken to Dream Beach huts.


They could do with a new sign......


Family bungalow.  Nephew on one side and myself and daughter (14) on the other side. 


View down to the ocean from our room.


The family bungalow I had booked - 2 king size rooms under the same roof....very close to the pool.  No air con.  No fridge.  Ceiling fan, outside bathroom.  Very nice.  Oh we did have a resident ghecko in our room - he had left his trade mark on the floor and he was actually very loud but due to our extreme tiredness the first night he barely disturbed us.  The second night I needed to wear my ear plugs.  I have never heard a ghecko so loud before hahaha.


Me on our lovely king size bed loving being in Bali even though I was struggling with no sleep.


My friends Single room no air con.  Very cute but hot.




Verandah of single room.


Restaurant Bar.  Overlooking the pool and ocean. 




The pool and ocean were so nice.....

We checked in and as we were all so tired everyone went there own ways for the afternoon.  Sam and I went for a swim at the beach then lay by the pool.  I dozed off so we went back to our room and had a nanna nap.  The others did the same I think.  We met up at the restaurant for pre dinner drinks.  As we were still recovering from travel we ate at the restaurant tonight but were not all that impressed with our meals.  Decided that Dream Beach Huts is a magnificent place to stay but not for eating at.......anyway there is so many nice restaurants on the island who wants to eat at your hotel...an early night was had by all.  Unfortunately the power in our room went out not long after we went to bed so the ceiling fan didn't work.  I was quite hot so opened the little window and managed to get a little breeze from that and too bad about the mozzies.  I could not sleep with the mozzie net as its too claustrophobic for me so Sam had it all around her as we were sharing the king bed.  In the morning the power came back on!  I didn't care at this stage that we had no air con, no internet, no hot water hey I was in Bali for a month who cares!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment